Disposable Camera Tour
Tour of Appledore Island|
Page 1 || Page 2 || Page 3
There are a number of private homes on Appledore, both summer houses and year round fishing families. The original fishing population from the 1600s moved to New Hampshire when Maine, then ruled by Taxachusetts, levied a tax on island residents. The 40 or so families simply floated their homes over to tax-free New Hampshire and set up operations on Star Island.
The most visible landmark is the defunct sub-spotting tower. At the base of the tower is a marine laboratory. Cornell and UNH marine students work from a number of buildings all around the island.
A key attraction to early settlers was the fresh water spring near the center of Appledore. The island became a township in 1661 but may have been occupied before the Pilgrims arrived in Plymouth. Mass. After the tax debacle, the township was dissolved.
This building and others inhabit the central educational campus which includes a study center, cafeteria, dorms, cottages, labs and classrooms. During our visit, researchers were out watching their nets that run across the island to capture birds to measure migration. Nets are patrolled every 20 minutes and birds are quickly released.
CONTINUE TOUR | SHOALS HOME
Digital images by J. Dennis Robinson
© 1998 SeacocastNH.com
To see pix by real professionals
go to our Photo Gallery Archives